After each ode of the canon, a double katavasia, consisting of the irmoi of both canons of Pentecost, is sung.
R. The reading from the Prophecy of Ezekiel (36:24-28)
In the prophets hast Thou declared unto us the way of salvation,/ and in the apostles hast Thou, our Saviour, made to shine the grace of Thy Spirit./ Thou art God from the beginning,/ thereafter art Thou God,// and unto the ages dost Thou remain our God.
After Thine arising from the tomb, O Christ,/ and Thy divine ascension to the height of heaven,/ Thou didst send down Thy glory upon the God-seers, O Compassionate One,/ having renewed a right spirit in Thy disciples./ Wherefore, like a musical harp plucked with a divine plectrum,/ they have mysteriously made clear Thy command, O Saviour,// and Thy dispensation.
- 19 ¶ Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
- 20 And when he had so said, he showed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.
- 21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
- 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
- 23 whosesoever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whosesoever sins ye retain, they are retained.
The ardent followers of the Saviour were filled with joy,/
Once, when He descended and confounded the tongues,/
Grant speedy and steadfast consolation unto Thy servants, O Jesus, when our spirits are become despondent. Depart not from our souls when they be in afflictions, nor be Thou afar from our minds when they be in tribulations, but do Thou ever go before us. Draw nigh unto us, draw nigh, O Thou Who art everywhere present; even as Thou wast ever with Thine apostles, so also do Thou unite Thyself to them that long for Thee, O Compassionate One, that, being one with Thee, we may praise and glorify Thine All-Holy Spirit.
KNEELING VESPERS PRAYERS